One World Trade Center
Author: JUDITH DUPRE
Format: HARD (Hardcover)
A special biography of this iconic building: The behind-the-scenes story of the most extraordinary building in the world, from the bestselling author of Skyscrapers. In this groundbreaking history, bestselling author Judith Dupre chronicles the most astonishing architectural project in memory: One World Trade Center. The new World Trade Center represents one of the most complex collaborations in human history. Nearly every state in the nation, a dozen countries around the world, and more than 25,000 workers helped raise the tower, which consumed ninety million pounds of steel, one million square feet of glass, and enough concrete to pave a sidewalk from New York to Chicago. With more than seventy interviews with the people most intimately involved, and unprecedented access to the building site, suppliers, and archives, Dupre unfurls the definitive story of fourteen years of conflict and controversy-and its triumphant resolution. This fascinating, oversize book delivers new insight into the 1,776-foot-tall engineering marvel, from design and excavation through the final placement of its spire. It offers:
- Access to the minds of world-class architects, engineers, ironworkers, and other tradespeople
- Anoramas of New York from One World Observatory-1,268 feet above the earth
- Dramatic cutaways that show the building's advanced structural technologies
- A time-lapse montage showing the evolution of the sixteen-acre site
- Chronologies tracking design, construction, and financial milestones, with rare historic photographs
Hard Cover | 285 Pages | 3 lbs.
Judith Dupré, New York Times bestselling author has written many books about architecture, including Bridges, Churches, and Monuments. She consults on large-scale infrastructure projects and lectures at Yale and other universities. She lives in New York.