Elevator Field Safety Course
Format: CEU (CONTINUING EDUCATION)
SPECIAL NOTICE: Please check each course for verification of approval before purchasing.
The Elevator Field Safety Course is a self-study course with a timed online test and counts as 3.5 contact hours (0.35 CEU) towards re-certification.
Approved by: NAEC for CET/CAT, and NAESA for QEI. (A maximum of 0.2 CEU for online courses per annual renewal period can be applied towards maintenance of qualifications for certified inspectors.) Also approved by the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin.
The Elevator Field Safety Course is based on the 2020 Field Employees' Safety Handbook. (not included and must be purchased separately.)
By studying the required materials the reader will have had the opportunity to learn about:
- General jobsite safety practices and procedures.This information is inclusive for personal safety, the safety of other elevator industry technicians and for the safety of other trades working in proximity to elevator industry work.
- The jobs and duties required of the elevator technician during servicing and maintenance of building transportation equipment/systems in accordance with the pertinent safety standards and practices.
- The jobs and duties required of the elevator technician during installation, repair or modernization of building transportation equipment/systems in accordance with the pertinent safety standards and practices.
The following are some of the areas of service safety covered:
- Service Maintenance in the pit, hoistway and machine room
- Hoistway access/Egress
- Maintenance of escalators and moving walks
- Hazard Communications and MSDS/container labels
- Use of solvents and painting equipment
- Correct apparel and personal protection
- Fall Protection
- Lockout/tagout procedures
- Jumpers and alligator clips
- Driver safety
- Correct wearing apparel and protective equipment
- Safety inspections
- Removal of rubbish
- Electrical lockout/tag out
- Working with live electrical circuits
- Fall protection: Safety harness, lanyards and lifelines
- Proper use of ladders while constructing elevators
- False cars and working platforms
- Beam clips, rigging slings and hitches
- Hoisting procedures
- Cutting and welding
- Fire-preventive methods
The test will consist of 80 questions, 40 Multiple Choice and 40 True/False. You will have 2 hours to complete the exam.
- If you do not already have an account on elevatorbooks.com, you will need to create one. NOTE: the name of the person purchasing must be the same name as the person who will take the exam.
- For articles, click the "Read Article" tab above to download and study the article. For other courses, be sure to purchase the corresponding book.
- Include your full name when purchasing the exam.
- Follow the instructions on the purchase confirmation page to log in to the Online Testing Center.
- If you scored 80% or above, you can immediately print your certificate of completion. If you fail the exam, you will be given instructions on how to pay a re-take fee and take the exam again.